Monday, October 05, 2009

Simplified life roasted chicken

It seemed simple enough up until now just to roast a whole chicken, but I have found lately that roasting parts on a bed of vegetables and white wine is even better. I started doing it after reading the gorgeous book A Tale of 12 Kitchens -- by the way, I really can't do this book justice. It's part travel memoir, part graphic design wonderland, and is my current favorite cookbook. A great gift for someone you know who loves art, food, and travel in equal measures. Anyway, after reading this, now I just place pieces (of any combination you like! unless you are cutting up a whole bird yourself) over any delicious, cut up root veggies and a bit of white wine. I don't need to carve anything after it's done and I have great leftovers for the week. So it's not really rocket science or anything, but seeing as it really has replaced roasting a whole bird as my new chicken approach, I figured I should write it up. This recent time, for veggies I used 1 large carrot and 2 small yukon gold potatoes cut into cubes of even size along with about 8-10 whole garlic cloves.I added salt, pepper and a bit of rosemary to the veggies...Then about 3/4 cup white wine. The chicken parts (1 split breast, cut in half, 2 thighs, and 4 legs) were layered on top of the vegetables, skin side down.I drizzled a little olive oil over the chicken and added salt and pepper.This goes in the oven to roast at 400 degrees for 1 hour, at which point you should flip the pieces over to skin side up. You can maybe add a little butter on top to facilitate browning, if you like. Let it go for another 30 minutes or so to get browned.Beautiful. And delicious, especially if you use whole garlic which becomes perfectly mellow as it slow roasts in all that chicken fat and wine.

No comments: