Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Pineapple...on fire!

I got some pineapple with a half -baked plan to wrap it in bacon for an appetizer of some kind. But then I got lazy. So I set it on fire instead! Voila--last-minute dessert and postprandial entertainment, all in one! I have never before attempted to flambé anything but now I'm pretty sure it's gonna be my all-purpose cooking finish. Gnocchi? Flambé! Mashed potatoes? Flambé! 5-alarm chili? Flambé! Word to the wise(r than me): this was a great idea I had after a few drinks during dinner. Please be careful and don't set your house on fire. First things first: add a few tablespoons brown sugar to 3 cups of fresh, chunked pineapple and allow to macerate for at least 10 minutes. Meanwhile, mix 2 shots coconut liquor with two shots rum and 1/4 cup orange juice and set aside. When you're ready for dessert, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a heavy pan over medium-high heat.When the butter is hot, add in your sugared pineapple chunks. Add a healthy two pinches (or more) of chili powder and any other spices you like (I think I put in some cardamom as well but not sure about that). Let the fruit get brown and slightly caramelized. Now the fun part! Turn up the heat to high and dump in your booze/oj mixture...And set it on fire! Light a match to it and step the hell back.Fwoomp! Steve was sitting all the way out on the porch while Lydia and I were doing this in the kitchen and he says it made an impressively large fireball. We're very brave.It subsides pretty fast.And leaves a beautiful brown sauce with an exciting "I-just-caught-on-fire" flavor.The chili with the pineapple is really great--a subtle background heat that feels right with the instant caramel from the flambé.Pour the pineapple with its sauce over some vanilla ice cream. This would also be great on poundcake or something.

No comments: