Thursday, June 17, 2010

Miso-buttered sweet potatoes

This is phenomenal and barely counts as a recipe because it's so easy, but do as I say and not as I do and don't make these right now in the heat of a Georgia summer. Wait until fall to roast these up in your oven, it makes more sense then anyway. But if, like me, you just had to have a roasted sweet potato for dinner in June, try to get someone to hang around the house and do the roasting part for you while you step away for a couple hours. One of my secret shames was that I really didn't know what kind of miso to have on hand. It keeps pretty much indefinitely so I didn't want to have a bunch of different kinds cluttering up the fridge if I could avoid it--there's white miso, barley miso, red miso, etc. I recently read somewhere that red miso is a good all-purpose one, so red it is for me. I've been putting it in everything recently though, so maybe it's time to branch out. Anyway. The charm of this recipe for me is to roast the sweet potatoes whole until they self-puree inside and their skins are tender and delicious. Set your oven to 350 and give your sweet potatoes a healthy bath in olive oil--at least a few tablespoons. Be sure to prick them all over with a fork to let their steam escape while baking.
Then pop them in the oven and just let them be for about 1 hour 45 minutes. Meanwhile, combine a heaping 2 tablespoons softened butter with 2 teaspoons miso and 1 teaspoon brown sugar. Mix it really well until it's a smooth brown paste.Once you've mixed it up, add at least 1 tablespoon of fresh minced chives (I use a scissors and just snip them in because it's easier than chopping). After a couple hours of roasting time, your sweet potatoes should be looking about like this:
Sweet and creamy inside! Cut a slit down the middle and smear in a dollop of the miso butter...
Then sprinkle over the top with black and white sesame seeds for a bit of crunch.
So so good. The pungent salty miso melts perfectly with the sweetness. And, leaving aside the butter, actually quite good for you, what with the B12 and the beta carotene and live cultures and everything. Enjoy!

No comments: