Thursday, June 17, 2010

5 spice pork chops

This is simple and this is yummy, but as I was working on this post I realized I really didn't get any good pictures of the cooked pork chops that make it look as flavorful and exciting as it really is. So I don't know how to sell it well, but trust me, it's good stuff.5 spice powder...a magical blend! It's aromatic and sort of "can't put your finger on it" with the flavor. Mix up 1 clove minced garlic, 1 tablespoon each cumin and crushed red pepper flakes, and 2 tablespoons 5 spice powder in a little bowl. This is enough for 2 chops by the way, but you might need to double if you're having friends over, depending on the size of your chops.Mix it up real well and then kind of rub it into your pork chops on each side. Don't completely cover every milimeter--it's a strongly flavored rub so a little bit will go a long way. I used center-cut chops--my favorite because they're not too thick and I have childhood nostalgia for gnawing on porkchop bones, like I was a cocker spaniel or something.Now drizzle over about 1 tablespoon of honey, divided over each side. And then 1 tablespoon each of olive oil and soy sauce.Then just stick them in the fridge and go do something else for a couple hours while they marinate. For example, I attended a session of my summer school constitutional law class. When you return (knowing MUCH more about the commerce clause than you previously did or wanted to), sprinkle a handful of flour over both sides and cut two slits in the fat of each chop. This will keep the chops flat while they cook in the pan. Heat up a tablespoon of fat of your choice (olive oil, butter, bacon fat) in a heavy skillet and cook the chops about 4-5 minutes per side over medium-high heat. You may need longer if you have thick-cut chops. They will crisp up beautifully thanks to the combo of honey and flour. Here you can see how the slit worked to keep the chop from curling up like a fortune teller fish.This is especially yummy with a miso-buttered sweet potato on the side.

No comments: