Thursday, March 19, 2009

Parsley chimichurri

One more thing from the trip to Oakland was this quick easy herb sauce that is great on grilled flank steak. Chimichurri is an Argentinian sauce that in its most basic form is just chopped onion, olive oil, paprika and sometimes lemon. But there are many many versions and the one I make is a more herbaceous version that is closer to pesto. You can make this with cilantro if you like but I used parsley. My basic (and endlessly flexible) formula is to take onions and/or garlic, chop them finely, then combine with tons of minced fresh herbs, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Spread over a grilled hot flank steak and proceed to be very very happy.

Here's part of a big bunch of parsley getting all worked over.
Then I combined it in a bowl with about 6 cloves minced garlic, a healthy 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and plenty of salt and pepper.
Oh yes, and more of the lemons fresh off the tree in the backyard. I used the juice from one big one.Normally I combine by hand but Charles had a food processor so I gave the mixture a whirl in that. It definitely gets things more like a purée rather than a rough mixture. Maybe it was a little too liquidy for my taste but it's an option if you are in love with your cuisinart.So you should have a saucey, fresh smelling herby mixture on your hands......spread it all over a hot steak and slice up to serve.I forgot! There was one more thing that was tasty--mushrooms marinated in red wine vinegar, olive oil, garlic, a little left over minced parsley, and salt & pepper for about 30 - 45 minutes. That's it!Grilled on skewers with the flank steak until soft and fragrant.

No comments: