Monday, September 29, 2008

Baby eggplant sauté


This was an easy and pretty side dish from a few weeks ago. There were these perfect and beautiful little baby eggplants hanging around at the farmers market, along with some sungold tomatoes and cherry peppers, which can actually be sort of hot. It turned into a simple caponata-esque sauté.I started by mincing one onion and two of these beautiful small bell peppers along with about 4 hot cherry peppers. I sautéed these all together in 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. After these had gotten a headstart of about 7 minutes and softened somewhat, I added in 2 cloves minced garlic. Then I sliced in half these tiny little eggplants and added them in along with another 2 tablespoons olive oil.I tried to keep them intact because I liked the shape so much, so I was very gentle while stirring them around. They took about 10 minutes to get soft and aromatic; I then added 1/2 teaspoon each cumin, chile powder and vindaloo seasoning into the center of the pan, and stirred everything up well together in the hot oil, then drizzled in 1/4 cup of white wine to give some moisture. After the wine had evaporated somewhat, I added a handful of golden raisins, 1 tablespoon minced parsley and 1/2 cup of sungold cherry tomatoes and let sauté for another 2 minutes.Removed from heat and stirred in 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar just before serving.

No comments: