Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Balsamic fig compote with goat cheese

I forgot to write about this when it actually happened, so this is a late post--I found the pictures and it jogged my memory. I made this with those same beautiful figs from my co-worker's tree that I wrote about earlier this month. Sadly, the fig harvest and resultant bounty is over for the year so my source has dried up. But still, this is a wonderful and simple dessert with that elusive sweet-salty-at-the-same-time thing going on.

I had some leftover figs from the gelato making adventure, so I just chopped them up into quarters and stewed them over medium heat with 1/4 cup brown sugar.When they began to fall apart (about 5 minutes), take them off the heat and stir in 2 tablespoons good balsamic vinegar. Let 'em sit for a minute to absorb the flavor then spoon the figs into little dessert cups and top with crumbled goat cheese.

No comments: