Thursday, July 24, 2008

Roasted turnips with other root vegetables

Betsy and I bought the exact same bunches of turnips from the exact same french lady at the farmers market this past weekend, so we decided to combine them into one superpower in-season vegetable hootenanny. These turnips are tiny, sweet and perfect so they were definitely the stars of the show, although we added some other root vegetables to the roasting pan as backup singers.

Like I said, these were tiny turnips, so I simply trimmed the greens off and sliced them into quarters. They got tossed in a roasting pan with 4 tablespoons olive oil, kosher salt, pepper, paprika, a little pinch of red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon garam masala, and 1 teaspoon additional curry powder. The other vegetables that I used were 3 small yukon gold potatoes and 1 medium sized sweet potato. One of the things that I try to do when I roast root veggies is to cut the different vegetables into different shapes. It makes for a more visually interesting final dish and I think it accentuates the difference between the vegetables used; although all root vegetables will grow sweeter and more rich as they roast, it's like a visual cue to hunt for the subtleties between them. As mentioned before, the turnips were quartered with a teeny bit of green at the top left on......and I ended up cutting the yukon gold potatoes into rounds and the sweet potatoes into matchsticks. I added about 10 whole cloves of garlic as well, and stirred all the veggies together in the roasting pan to distribute the oil and spices. They roasted for about 45 minutes at 400 degrees, with frequent stirring and shaking of the pan to ensure they cooked evenly and did not burn. They were delicious alongside a spectacular steak (that I will discuss shortly) and a big green salad, tossed expertly by Betsy, who always seems to get stuck with that job somehow.

No comments: