Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Spicy lentil, okra & sausage soup

I just had a very frustrating experience--I wrote this whole thing down and then the computer ate it. It was annoying. So I hope I don't leave anything out on my second-go-round of writing this...

Sautéed 1 minced onion in a tablespoon of mixed bacon fat and butter. After it was soft, I added 1 minced carrot and 2 minced celery stalks. After about 3 minutes, added a coil of sausage (handmade by my grandfather in New Jersey!) chopped into 1" pieces and browned those up. Added 3 tablespoons minced garlic, sautéed for about 2 minutes then added waaaaay too many red pepper flakes. It was sort of an accident--dumped in about 2 tablespoons which I had to correct later with seasonings. Put in 2 cups of lentils and about a 1/2 pound of thinly sliced okra. After that had all been mixed up for about 1-2 minutes over medium heat, I added chopped-up tomatoes (I usually get a big 32 ounce can of peeled, whole plum tomatoes and then use half then can at a time) and their juices. Brian had made chicken stock and we had at least 8 cups of it, so I just put it all in, stirred well and brought to a low boil. I then added a drizzle each of balsamic vinegar and worcestershire along with 3 tablespoons of the red wine I was drinking. It was still way too hot-flavored from the red pepper mishap so I added 1 tablespoon of brown sugar which smoothed it out. Lowered the heat to a simmer and covered to cook until the lentils were soft and the soup was thick--about 25 minutes.

No comments: